"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Remember Me Before Food

Sri Ramana Maharshi
14-5-1946

At 11 o’clock this morning, the Asramam lunch-time, Bose’s mother brought various dishes that she had specially prepared for Bhagavan and was serving them herself. She has brought food like this a number of times during recent weeks, and it means a good deal of cooking, since Bhagavan will not take anything unless there is enough for all to partake of it alike. Bhagavan asked me to tell her not to take all this trouble and to say that it was work enough to prepare food for her family and it was unnecessary to send things for so many people. 

He said: “Let her cook and eat her food at home, dedicating some of it to me, saying ‘this is for Bhagavan’. They think I have special liking for one thing or another, but really I have not. All food is the same to me. I would gladly mix up all the different things served and take it all together, but those who have prepared the food and think, ‘Bhagavan will like this’ or ‘Bhagavan will like that’ would be disappointed, so I don’t. Time was when I took pleasure in variety, but after realizing unity all that disappeared.”

.........................
"It is true that you give (food) to the persons present; but if none be nearby, what could you or I do? Do you remember Me before eating? Am I not always with you? Then do you offer Me anything before you eat?"  - Shirdi Saibaba

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad