"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Greatest Mantra

Sri Ramana Maharshi

Q. I am not learned in the scriptures and I find the method of self-enquiry too hard for me. I am a woman with seven children and a lot of household cares and it leaves me little time for meditation. I request bhagavan to give me some simpler and easier method.

No learning or knowledge of scriptures is necessary to know the Self, as no man requires a mirror to see himself. All knowledge is required only to be given up eventually as not-Self. Nor is household work or cares with children necessarily an obstacle. If you can do nothing more at least continue saying 'I-I' to yourself mentally as advised in Who am I? ... if one incessantly thinks "I-I", it will lead to that state (the Self). Continue to repeat it whatever work you may be doing, whether you are sitting, standing or walking. "I" is the name of God. It is the first and greatest of all mantrAs. Even om is second to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad