"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Life, a Slapstick Comedy

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj:

In my original state of unicity and wholeness, I didn't even know that I existed. And then one day I was told that I was 'born', that a particular body was 'me', that a particular couple were my parents. Thereafter, day after day, I began accepting further information about 'me' and thus built up a whole pseudo-personality, only because I had accepted the charge of being born, although I was fully aware I had no experience of being born, I had never agreed to be born and my body was thrust on me. Gradually, the conditioning became stronger and stronger and grew to such an extent that not only did I accept the charge that I was born as a particular body but that I would at some future date 'die'. The very word "death" became a dreaded word to me, signifying a traumatic event. Can anything be more ridiculous? By my Guru's grace I realized my true nature and also realized what a huge joke had been played on me.

The more startling illusion, therefore, is not so much the happening of an event known as birth-life-death over a period of what is known as time, but the acceptance of an objective entity which is supposed to undergo the experience of this conceptual event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad