"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A comedy


Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj:

Look, here I am in my home, bothering no one, doing what comes to me naturally. Suppose one day a policeman suddenly appears at my doorstep and charges me with assault and robbery in Calcutta on such and such a day. I tell him I have ne'er been out of my home town, let alone Calcutta taking part in an assault and robbery. The conviction with which I tell this to the policeman makes him a bit diffident. He conducts further inquiries and finds what I said was true. He then apologizes to me and leaves me alone. This is as it should be.

But here comes the comic part. You also face a similar charge; you also have never been to Calcutta, but you are so much overawed by the presence of the policeman that you are unable to speak in your defence, and you allow him to arrest you. Later, when you are behind bars, you lament about your bondage and cry for liberation! Is this not ridiculous?

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad