"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Worship the "I Am-ness"

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
November 29, 1980

You must maintain this knowledge "I Am" in proper order. I quarrel with my people if they don't keep these utensils in proper and clean order. Suppose this towel is left unwashed - then I will play hell with whoever is responsible. All the dirt which is not the towel should be removed. Similarly, "I Am" is the tool through which you get all the knowledge. You worship that "I Am", remove all the adulterations, the dirt.

Q: How to worship the "I Amness"?

The knowingness alone points out all the dirt which is imposed on it. Even the space is not as pure as the knowledge "I Am". Innately the world is very pure; it is rendered dirty because you identify with the body. Since you do not recognize your "I Amness" in its purity, you refer to various books and sages to get an identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad