"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Thus Spake Sri Rama

The sayings in this section have been collected from various sources like the Valmiki Ramayana, Adhyatma Ramayana and the Yoga Vasishtha Ramayana. 
  • It is egoism that has spread the net of attachment for the wife and children - a net our of which no magical spell will bring escape. So all mental pain automatically vanishes when egoism is eschewed.
  • Rama to Kaikeyi:
    • O Mother, why do you say thus to me? I am prepared to give up even my life for the sake of my father (King Dasharatha). I can drink deadly poison to serve him. I will renounce the kingdom, Sita or Mother Kausalya (Rama's mother) for his sake.
  • Discharge of swadharma (duties allotted to you) is only a sAdhanA, means to an end, namely, gaining Atma-jnAna. It is not an end in itself.
  • Therefore always meditate upon the Atman on the lotus of your heart, realizing that it is something other than intelligence, senses etc. Then you will not be sorry. Bear all the prArabdhas that are allotted to you, whether it is happiness or misery.
  • Doing your work as if being carried away by the current, you will not become attached to it. Whatever work you do outwardly, O Raghava, let your mind and character be pure.
  • The worldly-minded attain the company of the holy saints and sages by the effect of their merits earned by them in their previous births.
  • Man does not give up pride. With our mind we always create misery and fear but it is all like a dream. The magic performed by a magician is, as everybody knows, utterly false.
  • I (Ishwara) view everyone equally. No particular person is very dear to me, and none is hated by me also. Like the Kalpaka tree, I give whatever is requested of me.
|| Hari Aum Tat Sat ||

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad