"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Happiness: Only One

Sri Ramana Maharshi

It is said the whole Vedanta can be compressed into four words - deham, naham, koham, soham. Deham is naham; the body is not 'I'. If one enquires whence this 'I' springs and realizes it, then in the heart of such a one the Omnipresent God will shine as 'I' as sa aham or soham; i.e., he will know 'That I am', i.e., 'That is I'.

The bliss which is enjoyed unconsciously in sleep is enjoyed consciously in turiya. That is the difference. The ananda enjoyed during jagrat is upadhi ananda. But there are not diffferent anandhas. There is only one anandha, including the ananda enjoyed during the waking state, the ananda of all kinds of beings from the lowest animal to the highest Brahma, the ananda of the Self.
.....
From Thus Spake Ramana

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad