"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Avadhoota Gita - 1

Avadhuta Gita (Devanagari: अवधूत गीता, IAST: Avadhūta Gītā) is a Hindu text based on the principles of Advaita Vedanta (nondualism). It has been dated to approximately the 9th or 10th century. The singer of the Avadhuta Gita is Dattatreya, an Avadhuta, and according to the Nath Sampradaya, the work was heard and transcribed by two of Dattatreya's disciples—Swami and Kartika.  (Info Source: Wikipedia)

The posted verses here can be downloaded as a free e-book from this link.


Chapter 1

1. Through the grace of God alone, the desire for nonduality arises in wise men to save them from great fear.

2. How shall I salute the formless Being, indivisible, auspicious and immutable, who fills all this with His Self and also fills the self with His Self?

3. The universe composed of the five elements is like water etc. in a mirage. Oh, to whom shall I make obeisance - I, who am one and taintless?

4. All is verily the absolute Self. Distinction and nondistinction do not exist. How can I say, "It exists; it does not exist"? I am filled with wonder.

5. The essence and the whole of Vedanta is this Knowledge, this Supreme Knowledge: That I am by nature the formless, all-pervasive Self.

6. There is no doubt that I am God who is the Self of all; Pure indivisible, like the sky. Naturally stainless.

7. I indeed am immutable and infinite - of the form of pure Intelligence. I do not know how or in relation to whom joy and sorrow exist.

8. I have no mental activity - good or bad; I have no bodily function - good or bad; I have no verbal action - good or bad. I am the nectar of Knowledge - beyond the senses, pure.

9. The mind indeed is of the form of space. The mind indeed is omnifaced. The mind is the past. The mind is all. But in reality, there is no mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad