"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Friday, October 30, 2015

Do not interfere

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
February 3, 1981

Q: What if we understand only intellectually and we have not yet realized?

M: The big advantage of even intellectually understanding is that you will not be bound by the fear of death. Birth did not give you anything and death can take nothing from you. According to this world I have this terrible disease; I keep on talking exactly as I talked earlier, it has no effect on me. Only that which has taken birth will disappear, how am I affected?

You are fortunate to hear what I say. Listen, but do not make any effort to understand it, because only your intellect can try to understand and intellect does not reach That. What you have heard will have its own results; do not interfere.

Even if you have certain emotions of fear etc., understand that they are of that chemical of which the body and mind are made. You have nothing to do with that temporary state.

In the name of spirituality many people commit a lot of atrocities on the body, thinking they will get superior knowledge. From where and what? What are they going to gain? This knowledge is - provided I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad