"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Seed Is Only One

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Feb 2, 1981

Q: I am caught in that process of watching the body-mind.

M: Dream occurs in objective, material, manifestation, in the consciousness. It is not you. It is something other - objective, material. What you call I AM and birth, you are not that, it is material. Suppose that there is a Muslim boy that I have adopted; I have not sired that boy, but now I claim him as 'my' boy. Like that, this I AMness is not directly me, it is something other, something material, something Muslim, I am not that. I, the Absolute, have nothing to do with that.

People are sometimes confused because they expect an answer which is based on their concepts. You ask someone to bring you a spoon, and instead he brings you a needle. Both are words, both are knowledge, but that is not what you want. What you will receive is the true knowledge, even if what you are asking for is not the true knowledge.

Q: I must reach that level to be able to understand.

M: There are millions of grains, made into millions of forms, but the seed is only one. All these millions of forms are because of some particular seed, but I am not that seed. The Ultimate Knowledge does not have any knowledge. This knowledge I AM has appeared spontaneously, as a result of the body. See it as it is, understand it as it is.

When the waking state is gone, sleep begins, when sleep is gone, the waking state begins. When both are gone, I am at home. Why did they leave me? Because it was all foreign, it was not me

Take this advice: better not to be trapped in the spiritual knowledge business; have a nice time, a good life, be of service to others, and in due course, when the time is ripe, you will die.

Q: Without your advice, millions of people are already following your advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad