"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Total Inner Silence

Sage Vasishtha

O Rama, thus having reflected, the wise man should proceed further in the following manner:

"When the self (consciousness) alone is all this and when the mind has been cleansed with this understanding, what is mind - mind is surely non-existent. Whether it is unseen, or it is not-mind, or it is an illusory appearance, this much is certain - either it does not exist or it is mere illusion. Now that both wickedness and delusion have ceased, I do not see what the mind is.

All my doubts have ceased. I am without the fever of agitation. Whatever I am, I am - but without craving. When the mind ceases to be, the craving ceases to be too. When the mind is dead and the craving is dead, delusion has vanished and egolessness is born. Hence I am awakened in this state of wakefulness. When there is only one truth and diversity has no reality at all, what shall I investigate?

I am the eternal self that is omnipresent and subtle. I have reached that state of reality which is unreflected in anything, which is beginningless and endless and which is utterly pure. Whatever is and whatever is not, the mind and the inner reality are all the one infinite consciousness, which is supreme peace beyond comprehension and by which all this is pervaded. Let the mind continue to be or let it die. What is the sense in enquiring into all this, when the self is established in utter equanimity? I remained in a conditioned state as long as a I was foolishly engaged in this enquiry. Now that through this enquiry I have reached the unconditioned being, who is the enquirer?

Such thoughts are utterly useless, now that the mind is dead; they may revive this ghost known as the mind. Hence I abandon all these thoughts and notions; contemplating the OM I shall remain in the self, in total inner silence."

Thus should a wise man investigate the nature of the truth at all times whatever he may be doing. On account of such investigation the mind remains established in itself, freed of all agitation by performing its natural functions.

The Holy ones with unconditioned consciousness live and function here, freed from pride and delusion, with their heart ever rejoicing, their countenance shining with a divine radiance and performing their natural actions.

The above line of enquiry was adopted by the sage Samvarta who himself described it to me once upon a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad