"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Monday, February 6, 2017

Clear Understanding Required

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
March 31, 1981

M: When a clear understanding takes place of the nature and function of consciousness, that understanding no longer needs consciousness, because that understanding becomes the knower of consciousness. 

Q: Is it possible to function as the total manifestation, not as an individual?

M: What do you understand to be the total manifestation and individual?

Q: What is manifestation?

M: I am the manifestation. I, the Absolute unmanifested, am the same "I" manifested. Consciosuness is the expression of the Absolute, there are not two.

Q: If my life gives me great satisfaction and happiness, why should I bother about what or who I am?

M: This consciousness will not rest until it gets the answer. This consciousness cannot bear its own existence, cannot bear its own consciousness.

Q: It wants to go back to its own place of rest.

M: I am not inclined to discuss with words.

You people come here with steadfastness, diligently you come here and sit. If you have such a liking, you are welcome.

My teaching is very simple; the experiencer and the experiences are all fancies.

When you are a young person you like all the activities of a young person very much, you get very involved in them; once youth goes you are disinterested in activities of a young person. Similarly, as long as you are wearing this concept I AM you will be involved with all the concepts. When this concept I AM departs there will be no memory left that I was and I had those experiences: the very memory will be erased. Before you are completely liquidated, while there are some traces left of you, it would be better to quit this place.

You may not come across those teachings in such great details, and at this level.

This lady has piled up a lot of knowledge, she possesses stack of it, but in due course she will not only forget whatever she has piled up, but she will forget herself, that she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad