"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Sunday, December 10, 2017

"I am also Bhagavan"

From Sri Annamalai Swami's Diary Extracts

Two days before this incident I had tried to give Bhagavan (B) some nungus (palmyra fruits). I had stored them on Mr. Cohen's veranda in Palakottu because it was a convenient place to intercept B on his daily walk. When B came past he looked at me suspiciously and asked me several times, 'Why have you come here?'

After some hesitation I told B, 'I cam here to cut and give these nungus to Bhagavan.'

Bhagavan accepted the fruits, but as he was receiving them he laughingly said, 'You should have eaten them yourself and while you were eating them you should have had the thoughts, "I am also Bhagavan".'

B's reluctance to eat soon disappeared. He dug out many of the fruits with his fingers and sucked the juice. Finally, after exclaiming, 'Appadi! (an expression of contentment) I cannot carry the stomach,' he walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad