"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thursday, January 4, 2018

No "I" and "Me"

Sri Siddharameshwar Maharaj

Brahman is completely without pride. Therefore, any little pride in any experience, in any achievement, is worthless. It may even be pride in a great good deed that the doer feels he has done, but Brahman does not touch it and does not respect it. This is the "Real Knowledge" of our True Nature that is called "Self-Knowledge." There is nobody such as "I" to be discovered. By searching and eliminating all the elements and principles in nature, and in man, there is no "I" found remaining at all. Self is there, and body may be there, but the third person, this "I", is not there. It is Maya who says "I" and "me". The  "me" is the product of some disturbance in Maya. When this third person is dropped out, then the seeker or aspirant and that which is achieved, the ideal and his efforts are all eliminated. Then, paramatman is alone. So long as the ego-sense is not gone, "Self Knowledge" is impossible. When the "me" is gone, the concept of being a seeker, the sense of doing something, and the idea of something to be attained are also gone. Paramatman is uncovered without doing anything about it. If you examine all of your thoughts, you will find there is no "I" at all. 

There are five element and the sixth is the Self (Atman). The five elements are themselves the sense organs in the body, and the Self is the sixth. There is no "I" to be found anywhere in any of this. When Oneness is understood through Oneness, everything is Brahman. When this "I" or lack thereof, is recognized, its function ends. Only that which is the creator of the world remains. What remains when the "I" and "you" are eliminated? That which remains, which survives this process of elimination, is "Being". That which "is". When that which, "is", has gone, and that which "is not" is also gone, and something which is not a thing, there is no necessity of declaring what "is". It is "itself" there. When you know what "is not", then whatever "is" is. What is the necessity to declare as non-existing, that which is not there? ?It is naturally not there! This is called self-surrender (Atma Nivedan). The sense of "I" is offered to God, He digested it, and it became God himself and manifestation dissolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad