"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Turn Within Always

Sri Annamalai Swami

Q: Many people say that they have found peace in holy places.

AS: If you are attached to places, stay here in Tiruvannamalai for some time. The best place to discover the Self is here at Arunachala. The power to know the Self is available here. That has been the experience of many sages, including Bhagavan. Arunachala is the Self. Ramana is the Self. Both are here. Both are inside you.

You have an inclination towards holy places. Try this one for some time, and don't be so keen to rush off to other places.

Keep up the meditation, 'I am the Self', and be completely surrendered to that Self that is within you and which has appeared here in the form of Bhagavan and Arunachala. Forget about your bus for a while.

Q: I am now wondering if I should cancel this trip. I am having strong doubts as to whether I should leave or not.

AS: You have to make that decision for yourself. I have given you my advice. Now, you have to decide for yourself whether you are going to act on it. All I will say is that wherever you go in life, don't forget yourself.

Q: If I do go, I will be back in a maximum of 12 days.

AS: Turn to the light within all the time.

Q: Thank you, Swami.

AS: (laughing) It is your destiny to leave. That's why you have to go. But you are still having doubts as to whether this has really been decided or not. Don't indulge in them. Do what you have to do and remember the Self at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad