"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Thought is Pain

Sri Lakshmana Swamy

Effort and grace are both necessary in order to follow the quest successfully, but without vichara (self-enquiry) there is no grace and without grace there is no vichara.

You can hold onto the I-thought by your own effort; more than that you cannot do. If the candle comes near the sun what will happen? It will melt away. The same thing will happen to the mind if you hold onto the I-thought. When it goes back to its source in the Heart, the Self will consume it until only the Self remains.

In the Self there is no I-thought, there is no mind, and there are no thoughts.

Q: Is it necessary to practice self-enquiry in a sitting position?

LS: If the mind continues with its thoughts, then sitting meditation is of no use. The mind has to be still. When the mind is still there is bliss. If you can repeatedly dive into the Self by following the quest 'Who am I?', and abide there, this will lead to constant Self-abidance.

Q: When I look into who I am, the mind becomes still. But only for a moment. After a few moments silence I find myself in the middle of thoughts again. Then I remember the self-enquiry again and become silent for a while. Then I forget again. It goes on like this all day long.

LS: Yes, it is like this, but with more and more practice the mind becomes still.

For me this world is a waking dream. If you are in this state, then there is no birth or death for you; or sleep. First look into yourself. Just sit everyday for half an hour and look into the source of the 'I'. Ask yourself 'What is the source of this 'I'?'.

Without thought there is bliss. Thought itself is pain.

Q: Sometimes questions come up. They are in the mind of course. Should I just disregard them and go on with the quest, or should I look for an answer?

LS: Go on with the quest and leave them alone.

Q: Can I also meditate on Ramana Maharshi's form?

LS: If you follow the quest earnestly, then meditating on Ramana Maharshi's form will be unnecessary. What are name and form? They exist only in ignorance. Self-enquiry is the shortest way to Self-realization. However, one has to be an advanced devotee in order to make the mind go back to its source through the quest 'Who am I?.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad