"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Who Asks The Question?

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Pride of Achievement

"I have worked hard and I now consider myself a very successful man. I would be a hypocrite if I did not admit that I have a considerable amount of satisfaction and, yes, a certain amount of pride too in my achievement. Would that be wrong?" One evening a foreign visitor addressed Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj with these words. He was in his mid forties - smug, self-confident and a bit aggressive. Conversation then proceeded along the following lines: 

M: Before we consider what is 'right' and what is 'wrong', please tell me who is asking this question.

V: (A bit startled) Why me, of course.

M: And who is that?

V: Me. This 'me', who is sitting in front of you.

M: And you think that that is you?

V: You see me. I see myself. Where is the doubt?

M: You mean this object that is before me? What is your earliest recollection of this object that you think you are? Think as far back as you can.

V: (After a minute or two) The earliest recollection would perhaps be of being caressed and cuddled by my mother.

M: You mean, as a tiny infant. Would you say that the successful man of today is the same helpless infant, or is it someone else?

V: It is undoubtedly the same.

M: Good. Now, if you think further back, would you agree that this infant, which you can recollect, is the same baby that was born to your mother, that was once too helpless even to realize what was happening when its little body was going through its natural physical functions, and could only cry when it was hungry or in pain?

V: Yes, I was that baby.

M: And before the baby acquired its body and was delivered what were you?

V: I don't understand.

M: You do understand. Think. What happened in your mother's womb? What was developing into a body with bones, blood, marrow, muscles etc. over a period of nine months? Was it not a male sperm cell that combined with ovum in the female womb thus beginning a new life and in the process, going through numerous hazards? Who guarded this new life during this period of hazards? Is it not that very infinitesimally tiny sperm cell which is now so proud of his achievements? And who asked particularly for you? Your mother? Your father? Did they particularly want you for a son? Did you have anything to do with being born to these particular parents?

V: I am afraid, I really haven't thought along these lines.

M: Exactly. Do think along these lines. Then perhaps you will have some idea of your true identity. Thereafter, consider if you could possibly be proud of what you have achieved.

V: I think I begin to understand what you are driving at.

M: If you go deeper into the matter, you will realize that the source of the body - the male sperm and the female ovum - is in itself the essence of food consumed by the parents; that the physical form is made of, and fed by, the five elements constituting the food; and also that quite often the body of one creature does become the food for another creature.

V: I shall certainly go into the various questions you have raised, although I must confess that I have never explored these areas before, and I I feel almost giddy in my ignorance of the new spheres you have opened up before me. I will come and see you again, sir. 

M: You are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad