"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Friday, December 1, 2017

Not Knowing Me is Bondage

Sri Siddharameshwar Maharaj

The three worlds are the waking state, the dream state and the deep sleep state.  I am the Master of the three worlds. I am the knower of pain in the stomach. I know all. The art of seeing is Me. I am the receiver of bad names. The cause or origin is known by Me only. Only who understands is aware, and that is Myself. I am the light that is given by the eye because Consciousness is there. It is My own "being". The tongue without Me is just like a sole of a boot. What does it know? I am the One who enjoys the smelling, and that which is smelled is also only Me, and I am the one who recognizes the smell. It is I who has the knowledge of all things. Nobody except Me knows a thing. Bondage is because of Me, and to know Me is freedom. Not to know Me is the only bondage. Any structure devoid of Me is only a hide, an empty shell. I am the taste. Who else except Me knows what it is to be the knower of taste? I am the enjoyer and the creator of all the senses. I am "The Power of Action" and I am " The Power of Matter". I am "The Power of Knowledge". When I am the Totality, how can the lump of flesh called the body be separate from Me? From where would it come? All is One.  Then, what is it that can be called as other? What is other than Me? The breath of all is One.

Only people who are confused think that the body is separate from God. One has to die everyday. Everyday some heavy matter goes out of the body. Everyday some new matter is put into it. Double of that which goes out, goes into the body. One becomes proud of that which is "dead" (body) thinking that it is true. Such a one does not recognize that which does not die. These five elements are like waves of water in a single ocean. Actually, there is nothing separate from Me. All of the animate and inanimate creation is only Me. Different names are given only for convenience of functioning in the society. It is not necessary to behave as an eccentric when you become "knowledgeable" (a jnani). There is only one Universal Self, one Atman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad