"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thursday, October 12, 2023

Vairagya

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

V: With the falling off of desires and attachments, there comes a feeling of not wanting to do anything..

M: That leads to the Parabrahman state. What is the use to that state of all the ambitions, expectations, desires? What does it need? Nothing at all, for it is the perfect state.

V: You get to the point that you don't care for anything anymore, neither the Brahman state nor anything.

M: Yes. You won't care to know that you are the Brahman also in that state. 

Would you take delivery of this talk, accept all of this?

V: A little! [laughter]

I: It is not child's play that he is talking about.

V: There just seems to be a total disenchantment with the world.

M: What do you mean by disenchantment?

V: It comes as a preference for not wanting to be here - "here" meaning "in the world."

M: It will happen only when you realize "I am not like this, not like that...," if you eliminate everything. In that state, you will have no color, no design, no form, no name.

V: Then there is no longer any desire to practice spirituality either.

M: That type of dispassion is called vairagya. Vairagya means no raga; raga means love, love to be. Love to be is also to be discarded.

V: That brings alone sadness.

M: That is the emotional state - an aspect of the body-mind, this sadness. If you are not completely clear of this body-mind sense. the sadness is bound to be there.

[To two visitors in particular] When nobody was here earlier, I gave both of you a very good opportunity to talk, and now you are itching to talk.

V: May I talk now?

M: You shut off all your questions by your previous statement that you had found your self. That means the object of your spiritual search has been reached. Please explain yourself in greater detail. Before you came here, what were you and after meeting me what are you? I would like to hear.

V: Before I came here, everything seemed to go on in here [pointing to her head] and I looked at my body and thought of my body all the time; and I used to be concerned about money, very concerned .. and also whether or not I would have a job. And sometimes I worked very hard to understand the  I AM, I read your books and listened to the teaching .. I tried very hard to stay in the I AM, and I would meditate.

M: And then?

V: Then I found myself here somehow, and I said "I AM" and I knew it.

M: You understood "you are"? What is the color of that, the design of that? What is the image of that?

V: Nothing

M: Find it!

V: [unintelligible about the need for disciplines]

M: Until you meet your own self, I AM, the [the disciplines] are all very necessary. Once you abide in your own self they are useless, for then you are no more the body and no longer concerned with all the disciplines pertaining to that body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad